BiographyBrian Binnie is a Program Business Manager and Test Pilot at Scaled Composites. He has 21 years flight test experience including 20 years of Naval Service in the Strike-Fighter community. He has logged over 4600 hours of flight time in 59 different aircraft and is a licensed Airline Transport Pilot.
Brian’s educational background includes a B.S. in Aerospace Engineering and an M.S. in Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics from Brown University and an M.S. in Aeronautical Engineering from Princeton University. He is a graduate of the U.S. Navy’s Test Pilot School at Patuxent River, MD and the Naval Aviation Safety School at Monterey CA.
He is a member of the Society of Experimental Test Pilots and a published member of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
Flight Test Experience:
* Scaled’s Model 318 White Knight
* Scaled’s Model 316 SpaceShipOne
* Roton Flight Test
* F/A-18 Electronic Warfare Suite Testing and Integration
* F/A-18 TSSAM Weapon Launch Envelope Expansion
* A-6E TSSAM Weapon Launch Envelope Expansion
* F/A-18 SLAM-ER Weapon Launch Envelope Expansion
* A-6E SLAM-ER Weapon Launch Envelope Expansion
* F/A-18 LEX Fence Performance Map
* F/A-18 ATARS Transonic Handling Evaluation
* A-7E Structural Flight Test Qualification Program
* F/A-18 KC-10 Wing Tip Refueling Pod Evaluation
* A-7E KC-10 Wing Tip Refueling Pod Evaluation
* F/A-18 F404 2nd Source (Pratt & Whitney vs GE) Engine Envelope Expansion
* F/A-18 Hi-Energy Nose Strut -T/Off and Landing Eval
* F/A-18 First LGB Weapon Delivery Using Self-Lasing FLIR
Other Related Experience:
* Completed for the ROTON: Hazard Analysis / Aircrew Checklists / Normal & Emergency Procedures
* Conducted Flight Test / Developed Operational Flight Procedures (Tactics) / Provided Fleet Training (1 to 5 day course) for F/A-18 and AV-8B EW Suites.
* Expanded curriculum to include Foreign Military Customers and provided in-country training to Finland, Malaysia and Italy
* Wrote all the operational checklist and provided the Fleet Tactics Manual for the TSSAM Weapon System
* Planned and executed the first (and only) radar chase of the Tomahawk cruise missile to demonstrate more effective surface fleet training
* Prepared and briefed the Australian Air Force on new Operational Flight Software for their F/A-18 aircraft
Biography written during the time of the Tier One program.