About the Foundation
Asteroid Foundation is a Luxembourg nonprofit organisation with the mission to promote worldwide awareness about asteroids and space as well as inspire the younger generation. The Foundation undertakes a year-round programme of activities to support scientists, engineers and students around the world, and provides free educational tools, newsletters, original articles and resources. UN-recognised Asteroid Day is a programme of the Asteroid Foundation.
On an EU and Luxembourg level, the Foundation hosts a number of events throughout the year engaging the local community on the topics of space resources, planetary defence, asteroid science, education and research. Together with various Luxembourg government agencies including the Luxembourg Space Agency and other local partners, the Foundation hosts various family and B2B events annually. Additionally, the Foundation works closely with other educational institutions and organisations in Luxembourg and abroad to connect their students to our network of astronauts and experts, inspiring the future generation of space leaders.
About this role
This role is a 12-month fixed-term position (maternity & parental leave cover) starting in October-November 2023 with the possible opportunity to join the organisation full-time.
This is a fast-paced exciting opportunity for someone who is looking to be part of Luxembourg’s expanding space ecosystem. The Programme Manager will assist the Board of Directors in planning, implementation, and evaluation of the Foundation’s year-round events and activities. The ideal candidate for this role is a self-starter, highly efficient multitasker, with a high degree of detail orientation, event management experience, and strong communication skills. French and English proficiency is mandatory, and Luxembourgish is a plus.
As the Programme Manager, you will play a crucial role in ensuring the success of our events, managing projects, and maintaining strong partnerships with key stakeholders. You will be responsible for supervising event logistics, team coordination, external representation and supporting the Board with financial management and compliance.
Event Logistics and Operations:
- Plan, supervise and coordinate all aspects of event logistics, including venue selection, vendor management, and contract negotiations.
- Oversee and handle the booking of speakers’ travel and accommodations and manage all communications with speakers, from invitations to thank you’s.
- Ensure seamless event operations by guiding the project teams (Comms team of 2 part-time members all-year-round + Operations Intern for Mid-April to Mid-July)
Financial Management and Reporting:
- Submit invoices for payment with cost-per-project allocation
- Oversee grant reporting and ensure compliance with financial guidelines and regulations.
- Maintain strong relationships with external stakeholders, including public and private funders, collaborative partners, and community representatives.
- Assist the primary point of contact for Lux and EU funding partners, ensuring successful funding and sponsorships for Asteroid Day events.
Marketing & Communication Supervision:
- Strategically plan and supervise content creation for the Foundation’s website and social media platforms.
- Develop compelling content for strategic publications, enhancing the organisation’s visibility and impact.
- Management of internal and external communications, and presentations to stakeholders, sponsors and foundation’s partners.
- Conduct weekly progress meetings, set targets, implement guidelines, and provide support to the team.
Board Administration and External Representation:
- Ensure smooth board administration, respond to KYC emails, collect board minutes signatures, and address board-related administrative matters.
- Represent the Foundation externally in various settings, including meetings, conferences, and community partner engagements
- English and French proficiency (C1 minimum for both). Luxembourgish is strongly desirable
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with project coordination or event planning
- High computer literacy with a solid understanding of SaaS platforms to advance and support workflows
- Very experienced with G Suite or Office 365
- Familiar and comfortable using and setting up Zoom conferencing
- Ability to work with and lead volunteers
- Self-starter, self-directed, and goal-oriented
- Independent but collaborative and communicative
- Ability to thrive in a rapidly changing environment with a strong ability to multitask
- Ability to think clearly and creatively in the face of unexpected challenges
- Strong organisational and communication skills
- High level of diplomacy and knowledge of intercultural communication
- The offices are located near Luxembourg Gare Centrale
- Work permit to work in Luxembourg is a must
- Hours are primarily Monday – Friday with occasional need for evening or weekend work during high event season (Mid-May – Mid-July)
- Local travel will be needed (B category driver’s license is required)
Why work for the Asteroid Foundation?
- Be part of a worldwide movement with the collective goal of educating the public about space
- We are a small team and everyone makes a big impact. Once you are part of the team, your voice will be heard throughout the organisation. There are a lot of opportunities to expand your skills, make changes and help improve systems
- You will get a chance to work with exceptional people – astronauts, scientists, and space professionals
To apply please send your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.