With the new technologies and advancement of telescopes and data analysis techniques, Asteroid discovery has been, and will continue, accelerating. This panel will discuss how computational capabilities of computers, charge-coupled devices (CCD), Graphics processing units (GPU), big data, cloud platforms like Google, AWS and Azure and other technologies are enabling new asteroid discoveries and tracking capabilities through advanced imaging, cloud-based data analysis and new visualization tools.
Host: Sabinije von Gaffke, Moderator and Journalist
- Dr. Ed Lu, NASA Astronaut; Executive Director, Asteroid Institute; Co-founder, B612
- Robert Jedicke, Particle physicist and software engineer, Institute for Astronomy of University of Hawaii; astronomer, Pan- STARRS
- Lynne Jones, Astronomer & Performance Scientist for the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST), University of Washington, Asteroid Day Expert Panel
- Prof. Mario Juric, Data Management Project Scientist for the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope; University of Washington
- Scott Manley, Scottish YouTube personality in Silicon Valley, astrophysicist, hacker, gamer