Asteroid Day Newsroom
Countdown until the next Asteroid Day, June 30 2017:
Asteroid Day Press Conference | Feb 14
Asteroid Day to Announce Increased Global Support and Preview 2017 Events at February 14 Press Conference – Live from Luxembourg City, Berlin, Silicon Valley, Bucharest and London. List of Speakers can be found in the center of this page.
Latest Press Release
Press Conference Details
- Press conference begins at 2:30PM CET | 1:30 PM GMT | 8:30AM ET on Feb 14
- Request WebEx access (Journalists only): Email email@example.com
- Watch the recorded YouTube stream here. Download video here.
- Submit questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- One-on-One requests to email@example.com
- Pictures can be found here.
- Media Alert: English, Spanish, Danish, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Portugese, Serbian.
February 13, 2017 – Asteroid Day to Announce Increased Global Support and Preview 2017 Events at February 14 Press Conference – Live from Luxembourg City, Berlin, Silicon Valley, Bucharest and London.
November 08, 2016 – Leading Small Body Scientists, The Observatoire De La Cote D’Azur And Asteroid Day Co-Founder Announce 15,000 Good Reasons To Test Asteroid Deflection And Launch The “I Support AIM” Campaign.
You can download our logo in various formats, here.
(Please find more Quotes in our Press kit)
Stephen Hawking: “One of the major threats to intelligent life in our universe is the high probability of an asteroid colliding with inhabited planets.”
Tom Jones, Scientist, Author, Pilot and Veteran NASA Astronaut with four Shuttle missions and three spacewalks: “Asteroid Day is a great opportunity to invite the public to learn more about the hazard from near-Earth asteroids, and to invite their support of international efforts to discover and head off rogue asteroids. We study asteroids both to protect the Earth and to protect valuable resources for future exploration toward Mars.”
Dante Lauretta, Professor of Planetary Science, University of Arizona: “Asteroid represents humanity’s growing awareness of the opportunities and hazards that exist in near-Earth space. Our future depends on our ability to identify, characterize, and ultimately travel to these asteroids.”
Watch today’s Asteroid Day Regional Press Conference from 2PM GMT
SPEAKERS AT ASTEROID DAY | FEB 14 | PRESS CONFERENCE:
Added: Lord Martin Rees will address the press conference from Cambridge
Luxembourg City – Cisco Center
- Etienne Schneider, Deputy Prime Minister & Minister of the Economy, Luxembourg
- Franco Ongaro, Director of Technology, Engineering & Quality and Head of ESTEC Establishment
- Marco R. Fuchs, Chief Executive Officer, OHB SE
- Markus Payer, Vice President Corporate Communications, SES
- Ruy Pinto, Deputy Chief Technology Officer, SES
- Patrick Michel, Principal Investigator Asteroid Impact Mission
- Danica Remy & Grig Richters, Co-founders, Asteroid Day
Berlin – Cisco Center
- Jean-Baptiste Vincent, DLR Institute of Planetary Research
Bucharest, Romania – Cisco Center
- Dorin Prunariu, Romanian astronaut, Asteroid Day ambassador
San Jose, California – Cisco Center
- Ed Lu, three time US Astronaut, Co-founder, B612
- Michael Yutrzenka Sr. Director, Corporate Affairs Cisco
London – Cisco Center
- Debbie Lewis, Asteroid Day Risk Management expert; Expert Panel Deputy Chair
Asteroid Day Update – Featuring Scott Manley
A monthly video series discussing the latest Asteroid News.
More details, here.
Scientists Rock – an Asteroid Day series
You can download the high resolution video files, here.
Asteroid Day 2016 stats
- 500+ self-organised events
- Events across 72 countries
- 150,000+ participants (offline)
- 1.3+ Million participants via live streams
- 60,000 Tweets mentioned Asteroid Day on June 30
- #ASTEROIDDAY Top ranking across international social media and #3 in US
- 1.5 Billion timeline impressions (Twitter & Facebook only)
- 7 Billion+ Media impressions
Asteroid Day 2015 stats
- 163+ self-organised events
- Events across 48 countries
- 65.000+ participants
- 1.9 Billion media impressions (US)
Man vs Asteroid
A new film about how Asteroid Day came to be. Premiered on June 30, 2016 on Discovery Science globally. Read more
You can download video messages from our Supporters. Please always credit Asteroid Day with a link back to http://asteroidday.org
Talks about NEOShield-2 partnership with Asteroid Day
Talks about Asteroid Day and Planetary Society
Asteroid Day 2016 Introduction
Talks about Asteroid Impact Mission (ESA)
Video messages from the following individuals can be found here: Adigun Abiodun, Alan Harris, Amanda Sickafoose, Anousheh Ansari, Bill Nye, Brian May, Chris Hadfield, Sir Crispin Tickell, David J. Eicher, Detlef Koschny, Dorin Prunariu, Ed Lu, Franco Ongaro, Geoff Notkin, Grig Richters, Helen Sharman, Ian Carnelli, Jean Francois-Clervoy, Josep Trigo, Lord Martin Rees, Luca Parmitano, Mark Boslough, Patrick Michel, Pedro Duque, Peter Gabriel (coming soon), Rusty Schweickart, Scott Manley, Stuart Clark, Thomas Jones.
Our Expert Panel (ADXP) oversees the scientific information Asteroid Day is publicising to guarantee accuracy. They are always happy to answer any asteroid related questions you may have.
Our Experts answer user submitted questions in a regular blog and write about the latest asteroid related news.